[wpkg-users] stop wpkg from removing packages

simplesi siwalters at hotmail.com
Wed May 20 00:00:26 CEST 2009

Rainer Meier wrote:

> ...This way wpkg.js will never remove any settings node. But hey, I really
> don't
> see any legitimate use case for this.

Well the legitimate use is that I'd like to do it and I don't think anyone
or any computer dies as a result of doing this :)

If the settings nodes stay within wpkg.xml
> WPKG will have a different state then the system might have. For example a
> package might be (manually) removed (remember you users have admin rights)
> but
> WPKG will run the checks of all installed packages to verify them on each
> run.
> So you will have no possibility at all to remove those package definitions
> from
> the systems. So any package you really want to remove you need to go to
> each
> machine and manually remove the software as well as manually edit
> wpkg.xml. This
> is really totally against the principle of software deployment.

I only ever once had the need to remove a package (the original Giant
Antispyware before MS bought the company and turned it into Defender)

I just removed the package from packages.xml and installed a new package
that did the removal.

And everything just because you sometimes (by accident) mess up your
server-side
> package database? I think you should seriously think about your testing
> procedures take more care about the package database.

I'm sorry if I'm the only one that gets their xml messed up sometimes :(

As I said, I get 3 hours a week in each school - not a lot of time for
package deployment testing in between changing printer cartridges/paper jams
:)

This wasn't a big request - I just thought wpkg should be able to do it :)

If you continue to use your changed wpkg.js (of course you're free to do so)
> am pretty sure you will run into strange problems on these machines in the
> future. In worst-case this might end in an endless reboot of your
> machines.

Its hard to see the endless reboot happening, from my view if no package is
ever removed, there is no harm in leaving an entry in wpkg.xml - wpkg will
just say the package is missing and just not do anything - its hard to see
that doing nothing can cause my machines to re-boot :)

I think for some reason, you've decided to attack a humble long time servant
and admirer of wpkg which is an ideal tool to use in small schools without
having to go down the domain controller/AD/GPO locked down client route.

The machines aren't mine - there is no network manager - software is
installed by myself and teachers - we have one logon (with no password).

My "users" are children up to age 11 and they think hacking is changing the
wallpaper to a picture of a football team :)  (which I correct by having
wpkg change it back again the next day)

I'm not running the computer section of the FBI :)

I hope, once your indignation that someone like me is allowed to  set up
computers goes away :), that you might think that its not such a stupid idea
:)

regards
Simon