[wpkg-users] Package Dependency

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Wed May 20 15:53:29 CEST 2009

> From: siwalters at hotmail.com
> To: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
> Subject: [wpkg-users] Package Dependency
>

> Hi again
> I was asked to install MS PhotoStory at one school this afternoon and since
> I have packages for this and Media Player 10 (which it needs installing
> first) I thought I try out the package dependency facilities
>
> I placed this code in my profile
>
> ..
> <package package-id="mp10" />
> <package package-id="ps3" >
> <depends package-id="mp10" />
> </package>
>
> and set priority of mp10 to 150 (ps3 is standard 100).
>
> wpkg tried to install mp10 and failed due to an error and I expected that
> ps3 wouldn't be attempted tp be installed but it tried! (and failed because
> it needs MP10 or MP11 installing first)
>
> Have I misunderstood how dependency/priorities work/made a mistake or is it
> a bug?
>
> Using WPKG-1.1.0-M21
>
> regards
>
> Simon

The XML for my PhotoStory package is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<packages>

<package id="photostory" name="Microsoft PhotoStory 3" revision="1" reboot="false" priority="0" depends="mediaplayer10">
 <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Photo Story 3 for Windows" />
 <install cmd='msiexec /i "%SOFTWARE%\PhotoStory\photostory3.msi" /qb-' />
 <remove cmd='msiexec /x "%SOFTWARE%\PhotoStory\photostory3.msi" /qb-' />
 <upgrade cmd='msiexec /i "%SOFTWARE%\PhotoStory\photostory3.msi" /qb-' />
</package>

</packages>

The package itself depends on the 'mediaplayer10' package which is defined seperately.

Out of curiousity, whereabouts or which schools do you support?  I've got WPKG going in 13 now, it has revolutionised the support I can offer!

Chris