[wpkg-users] Fatal Error - Missing White-Space

beadlej beadlejames at hotmail.com
Wed May 20 21:39:04 CEST 2009

WPKG is giving me the error. I have also been using Open XML Editor to edit
the .xml files and it will also show me the errors. I will explain step by
step what happens.

I open a command prompt and go to my mapped drive to the server that has the
WPKG files.

I then type "wpkg.js /synchronize"

It then opens up a window that says,

Error parsing xml 'Z:\packages.xml': Required white space was missing.
File   Z:\packages.xml
Line  56
Linepos 36
Filepos 2408
srcText  <install cmd="%COMSPEC% /c mkdir "%AllUsersProfile%\Start
Menu\Programs\CCleaner""></install>

NOTE: the srcText is different then the line in the packages.xml. That one
is:

<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c mkdir "%AllUsersProfile%\Start
Menu\Programs\CCleaner"' />
Note that the single quotations are replaces with double quotes and the end
part of " />" is replaced with "></install>"  I don't know if that has
anything to do with the error.

After I press OK there are no more windows so I assume that it stops.

A little background: I only have my computer in the hosts.xml and in the
profiles.xml I only have ccleaner within my profile. In the packages.xml I
only have the package for Ccleaner (which I copied and pasted from the wpkg
website and updated it to the correct path and file name). I was trying to
do more before, but then I realized that it wasn't working right, so I went
back down to just installing one package. I did follow the walkthrough to
install DIA and that worked just fine. I don't know what the problem is now.
The only difference is that it's using %COMSPEC% to run some commands that
DIA didn't do.

Some other questions real quick. Do you have to define %software% in the
"Variables, actions" tab in wpkginst.exe? If that is the case, what are all
the variables that I need to define? Also, considering that you can't silent
install some software (Malwarebytes is one), how do you auto install it? I
know that you have to login to use autoit and I saw a little on how to do
that, but I was wondering if anyone else had a walkthrough on how to use
autoit with wpkg.

Thank you for helping me out with this one. I would love to be able to do
what you all do with unattended, wpkg and autoit.

James Beadle