[wpkg-users] Fatal Error - Missing White-Space

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed May 20 22:29:26 CEST 2009

Hi James,

beadlej wrote:
> You are correct about cscript giving the error. Sorry I and still new at
> this.

No problem. I just went on to verify your problem.

> About the code, I too thought that it was odd that the log would not show
> single quotes, but instead change the single quotes to double quotes. Here
> is the packages.xml
>
> <packages>
>
>   <package
> 	id="ccleaner"
> 	name="CCleaner"
> 	revision="1"
> 	reboot="false"
> 	priority="1">
>
> 	<check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="CCleaner (remove only)" />
>
> 	<install cmd='%SOFTWARE%\ccsetup219_slim.exe /S' />
> 	<install cmd='regedit /s %WPKGROOT%\reg\ccleaner.reg' />
> 	<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c mkdir "%AllUsersProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner"' />
> 	<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c copy "%UserProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner\CCleaner.lnk" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner"' />
> 	<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c rmdir /q /s "%UserProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner"' />
> 	<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c del /q "%UserProfile%\Desktop\CCleaner.lnk"' />
>
> 	<upgrade cmd='%SOFTWARE%\ccsetup219_slim.exe /S' />
> 	<upgrade cmd='regedit /s %WPKGROOT%\reg\ccleaner.reg' />
> 	<upgrade cmd='%COMSPEC% /c rmdir /q /s "%UserProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner"' />
> 	<upgrade cmd='%COMSPEC% /c del /q "%UserProfile%\Desktop\CCleaner.lnk"' />
>
> 	<remove cmd='"%ProgramFiles%\CCleaner\uninst.exe" /S' />
>   <remove cmd='%COMSPEC% /c rmdir /q /s "%AllUsersProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner"' />
>
> </package>
>
> </packages>

Actually I asked to attach the XML file because this would preserve encoding and
line breaks. I tried to restore them and used the XML file I've attached. It
worked for me and wpkg.js (version 1.1.0-M30) was successful in parsing it (no
error at all). However the installation of course failed on my machine because I
miss all the referenced files.

I still think your problem is related to either line breaks or encoding of the
file. Try the one I've attached.

> I am unsure what 	<install cmd='regedit /s %WPKGROOT%\reg\ccleaner.reg' />
> does.

It executes regedit.exe with the /s parameter which will import 'ccleaner.reg'
file silently into the registry. This is usually used if there is no clean
silent installer. As you see also the shortcuts (*.lnk) are copied manually from
 the user start menu to the all users start menu. So it looks like the ccleaner
setup does not very well prepare CCleaner to work in multi-user environments and
requires some post-installation tweaks (like adjusting of registry keys).

> How would I find out how to silently install something if google isn't
> showing it? I have been racking my brains to figure this out. If I can do
> everything with wpkg I would be thrilled. Malwarebytes is a great
> anti-spyware program. Definitely recommend it.

Just try. Most of the installers accept a silent switch. Some of them are:
MSI installer packages installation: /i <msi-file> /qn /norestart
MSI installer packages uninstall:    /x <msi-file|{GUID}> /qn /norestart
Install4j: -q
Inno Installer: /verysilent /norestart /sp-
Install Shield: /s
NSIS installer: /S

Custom installers might use different options. So first you should try the ones
above - in case of CCleaner the /S switch seems to be used (so I guess it's
using NSIS installer.