[wpkg-users] Fatal Error - Missing White-Space

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed May 20 23:04:28 CEST 2009

Hi James,

beadlej wrote:
> You guys are amazing! Thank you so much. It was the editor that I was using.
> I reverted back to the original packages.xml file and copied exactly what
> you gave me, but I did it in notepad. It worked like a charm. What is the
> editor that you guys use? Or is it just notepad? :)

Personally I prefer Eclipse using the built-in XML tools. WPKG 1.1.0 also comes
with a bunch of XSD files:
<http://wpkg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wpkg/wpkg/stable/1.1/xsd/>

Using them allows your editor to display help and context assistants. Using a
decent editor allows you to build and verify your package definitions.

But basically every editor should do the trick. Probably your one used a strange
encoding (UTF-16?) - who knows. But maybe cscript did not support it. As WPKG is
using libraries provided by Microsoft to parse the XML files it's unlikely that
I could fix it. So I recommend you to check the settings of your editor.

As eclipse is quite a huge tool and needs some time to get on with I recommend
an easy editor like PSPad (free), Notepad++ (free) or UltraEdit (commercial).
All of them provide syntax highlighting and different encodings.

Actually the file I sent you was quickly edited in PSPad.

> The %software% wasn't defined to I had to put in the actual path. Can you
> tell me how to define that in the xml file?

If %SOFTWARE% is not defined in your package it will execute
"\ccsetup219_slim.exe" which refers to the root directory of the path where
wpkg.js is executed (have a look at the logs).

As I wrote I recommend to run wpkg.js using WPKG client (never run "cscript
wpkg.js /synchronize" manually) and start WPKG by running the WPKG windows service.

Only if you run it by Windows service the variables defined using wpkginst will
be applied/set.

If you like to run wpkg.js manually you either have to define %SOFTWARE% in your
global machine environment (Windows settings) or use a wrapper script.

Have a look at the run-wpkg.cmd script I've attached. It sets the variables
before it invokes wpkg.
NOTE: I had to rename it to "run-wpkg.txt" to make it go through the mail server
without being filtered.

> I will try to figure out the installations with the other programs that I
> want to install. Thank you all for helping me out with this. I have been
> trying to get this working for the past week.

WPKG just becomes fun if it's running properly for a while and when it starts to
save some time. Instead of running from machine to machine you just add it to
the software repository and let WPKG deploy it.