[wpkg-users] Just running one package at each run

Thu Nov 12 13:26:07 CET 2009

From: wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org [mailto:wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org] On Behalf Of Chris Wilcox
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:12 AM
To: wpkg
Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] Just running one package at each run

>> First, one more pitfall warning: regardless of what you do, remember that WPKG
>> will also *UNINSTALL* software if it has a package definition, but is not listed
>> in your profile. So if a user already installed software that is not yet in his
>> profile, WPKG would actually remove it (at least, that's the default behavior).

> Why do you say that WPKG removes installed software not yet in the profile for that
> computer if a package definition exists?  That isn't how it works...unless I
> misunderstand what you are saying?

Either that, or you are using different command-line options that I am. You can turn off this behavior.

Let's say that you have defined four packages in your packages.xml:

Package AcrobatReader
Package Firefox
Package Safari
Package Putty

You have two profiles:

Original-profile
   AcrobatReader
   Firefox
   Putty

New-profile:
   Depends original-profile
   Safari.

Host johnSmithLaptop profile-id="Original-Profile"

Now let's say that John Smith, user of johnSmithLaptop, has Acrobat Reader already installed, and decides on his own to install Safari.

Then he brings the laptop in, and WPKG performs a synchronize operation.

WPKG will use the profile original-profile.

This will cause Firefox and Putty to be installed (from original-profile)

It will also cause Safari to be removed, because Safari is listed in packages.xml but not in the profile for that host.