[wpkg-users] Event Log format

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Nov 19 18:48:16 CET 2009

Hi Charles,

Charles Gargent wrote:
> Thanks for that, after I posted I think I did your last suggestion
>
> I add the following in line 5753 of v1.1.2
> description = description.replace(new
> RegExp("(\\r\\n)|(\\n\\r)|[\\r\\n]+", "g"), " ");
>
> that seems to work.

Great.

> fyi the tool I use to export the eventlogs is Logparser

A google search revealed that it seems to be a Microsoft tool. However I've
never used it. Are you sure it cannot handle multi-line eventlog entries?
Another quick search on google pointed me to this site:
<http://www.lizardl.com/PageHtml.aspx?lng=2&PageId=18&PageListItemId=17>
Where one of the features of this parser seems to be to support multi-line logs:

"[...]This input format is also used for parsing multiline text log files (one
record is spread through one or more text lines) from various sources"

On a blog about Log Parser 2.1 I found the statement that the next version (2.2
is available already) should support multiple line parsing. See
<http://weblogs.asp.net/rosherove/archive/2004/01/10/49441.aspx>.

So there is hope that Microsoft either already fixed this issue or will fix it
in the future. If not, then pre-parsers might help preparing the data for the tool.