[wpkg-users] Computer account

le dahut le.dahut at laposte.net
Fri Nov 20 10:28:45 CET 2009

How does computer account authentication work ?
I've read the code but I don't understand where it's called. I made some
'grep' on "m_bNetUseMachineAccount" but I haven't found what I'm looking
for.
Does WPKG client extract some user/password ?

I think there could be a solution with computer account in a samba
domain because computer are authenticated by the PDC to be able to open
a session on the domain.

And when I look in the LDAP information about my XP box I have this
(slapcat | less) :
  displayName: XP4$
  sambaAcctFlags: [W          ]
  sambaNTPassword: 2EDAB3A927C15AEC59ED849CF68377B9
  sambaPwdLastSet: 1258642532

So I'm pretty sure there is a way to use computer credentials to access
a share, no ?

I hope there will be a way to use computer account because I can't let a
share writeable to "nobody" nor I can use a domain account for WPKG
client. Those 2 solutions are not secure enough.