[wpkg-users] mutlple profiles for 1 client

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Nov 30 08:57:56 CET 2009

Hi Jacob,

Jacob Jarick wrote:
> I have the following hosts listed:
>
> WS00.*  profile1
> .*      profile2
>
> profile2 is never applied to the host WS001. if I reverse the hosts
> positions in the file / frontend profile1 is never applied.

Yes, this is exactly what you tell WPKG to do. Both definitions you use are
regular expressions. The first one (WS00.*) will match all host names match
contain WS00... Thus matching WS001 too. So WPKG will start from top matching
the profiles and it will find your WS00.* definition and discover it matches. So
profile1 is assigned to the host.

For Hosts named WS01 the first definition will not match so WPKG continues to
look for a matching definition - here the second one ".*" will match and profile
2 gets assigned.

If you want to assign multiple profiles to one host then I recommend creating a
"meta-profile" (e.g. profile-WS00) which depends on profile1 and profile2, so
packages of both profiles get included. Then of course assign the profile-WS00
to the first host definition.

If this is not what you're looking for please state your naming conventions and
what you would like to achieve so we might be able to help you to find the right
configuration.