[wpkg-users] mutlple profiles for 1 client

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Nov 30 09:46:41 CET 2009

Hi Jacob,

Jacob Jarick wrote:
> WS.*		-> all workstation software (notepad replacement, etc)
> WSAUST.*	-> all australian software profile (intranet etc)
> WSAUSTLAB	-> software for AU labs
>
> using this method I do not have to re-add default software to every
> profile or have a metal profile for every single profile to support an
> all computers profile.

Or simply add a dependency on the default profile to the three profiles assigned
to the three node types listed above. The number of host definitions and
directly assigned profiles is quite a finite number and usually you should try
to keep it as small as possible.
In addition if WPKG would match multiple host entries for a single host then
lots of people will experience overmatching in their profile structure. In the
current implementation the suggested ".*" (match all) entry is suggested to be
put at the end in order to be some kind of "catch everything which did not match
yet" functionality.
Lots of people use it like this and it will break their systems if WPKG now
would start to match all nodes.

In addition you can achieve the same by profile structure.

e.g.

WS.*		=> WS (depends: default, allWS)
WSAUST.*        => WSAUST (depends: WS)
WSAUSTLAB.*     => WSAUSTLAB (depends: WSAUST)

So this would give you the same functionality without even additional overhead
but with more flexibility. Imagine you have to support a host called
WSAUSTLAB-DELAB which should get the DE labs software even if it's located in AU
(yes, exceptions happen sometime in real life...). In case WPKG amtches as you
suggest, then you will have no possibility to prevent WSAUSTLAB.* or WSAUST.* to
apply to your host. Of course you might add a host definition for
WSAUSTLAB-DELAB and assign "DELAB" profile, but this will be added "in addition"
and not replacing the WSAUST* profiles assigning to the host.