[wpkg-users] Package Dependancy

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Sat Oct 3 18:58:30 CEST 2009

Hi Simon,

simplesi wrote:
> My concern is that I'm using the old method/syntax for my packages e.g.
>   <package
> 	id="ps3"
> 	name="Install Photostory 3"
> 	revision="2"
> 	reboot="false"
> 	priority="100"
> 	notify="false"
> 	execute="once"
> 	depends="mp10">
>
> 	<install cmd='msiexec /i %PACKAGES%\ps3\PStory.msi /quiet /passive' />
> 	<install cmd="%PACKAGES%\ps3\copyshortcut.bat" />
>     </package>

Hmm, I am not aware that there is a "depends" attribute on package level. It's
also not part of the XSD files defining the XML file structure. So if it has
ever been part of WPKG it must have been before 1.0 release and it's not
supported currently.

> where the depends is an attribute as opposed to the new method/syntax where
> the wiki now says it should be in its own element e.g
>
>   <package
> 	id="ps3"
> 	name="Install Photostory 3"
> 	revision="2"
> 	reboot="false"
> 	priority="100"
> 	notify="false"
> 	execute="once">
>
>         <depends package-id="mp10" />
>
> 	<install cmd='msiexec /i %PACKAGES%\ps3\PStory.msi /quiet /passive' />
> 	<install cmd="%PACKAGES%\ps3\copyshortcut.bat" />
>     </package>

This is the official way to specify dependencies. It also corresponds very much
to profile dependencies which use exactly the same syntax.
See <http://wpkg.org/Package_dependencies>.