[wpkg-users] How do you handle 'plugins' e.g. Flash etc?

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Wed Oct 7 18:21:30 CEST 2009

> Hi all,
>
> I rolled out WPKG across 16 sites during the past 8 months.  It's working really well but occasionally I hit a problem with some plugins (e.g. Flash > Player) whereby the user will initiate an update themselves, meaning that when WPKG next runs it detects that the version in the package xml file is > not installed, initiates an installation but can then hang because a hidden screen is not shown with a relevant message about newer version already > > being installed, that type of thing.
>
> With the frequent amount of updates for things like Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime, Sun Java etc, how do you all handle these?
>
> Chris

This is one reason why I requested the support for regular expression matching for uninstall strings, which is included in WPKG 1.1.2
I use this to get rid of version strings included in uninstall display names, so the match works.

In addition I check for the correct version of the main executable of the package or create my own registry keys to check against.
The file version check is always done "version-greater-or-equal", so uses can install higher versions, if they have the right to do so.

If I update the package to the latest version, there is usually no problem, since the same version would be installed.

---
Stefan