[wpkg-users] Testing updates

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Thu Oct 22 00:11:06 CEST 2009

Hi Lukasz,

one way to do this is to keep a testing copy of all WPKG files and setups and
make your test clients use this instead of the production files.  This way you
get a completely separate base dir and %SOFTWARE%.  You can test different
packages, profiles, to some extent hosts, different versions of WPKG as well
as changes to the software repository.  When all is well, you can rsync the
testing tree to the production one and get the new setup for all clients.
Saves you from possible problems with changing package ids.
I'm using samba with the expand_msdfs VFS module to relay clients to the
testing or production trees based on their IP address.  This way, they can all
use the same UNC paths and the server decides which version they get.  This
eliminates problems with MSI getting angry when the installation path is
changed behind its back and there is no need to modify any paths after syncing
back to production.

HTH,
Malte