[wpkg-users] Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 10:15:40 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have been trialling the use of Microsoft Security Essentials for some older/personal staff laptops used within work.  It has been easy enough to package up however on install for XP it disables Windows Defender which is fine, however on the test workstation I have de-allocated Windows Defender to find that Security Essentials installed before Windows Defender was removed, therefore the uninstall fails and continues to fail at each boot of the workstation.

Is there a way I can ensure that Windows Defender is uninstalled before Security Essentials is installed?  Is this a case of setting the package priority value correctly?

Thanks,

Chris