[wpkg-users] WPKG-gp on 64-bit? Also, WPKG Client issues on Win7 and a wpkg.js bug

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Tue Apr 6 16:35:10 CEST 2010

On 4/6/2010 1:07 AM, Brent A Nelson wrote:
> I can run the WPKG-GP-Client.exe manually, and it runs, but for some
> strange reason it tries to reinstall tons of things that are already
> installed! Perhaps being a 32-bit app, or something else about how the
> client sets up the environment, gives wpkg a different view of the
> system such that it can not perform "uninstall" checks correctly.

being a 32-bit app is the cause
wpkg.xml is stored in system32
sytem32 is not the same physical directory for 64 and 32 bit apps.

system32 is the home of 64 bit dlls for a 64 bit app
syswow64 is mapped to system32 for a 32 bit app and contains 32 bit dlls

something similar happens in the registry

We need a 64 bit app in order to be able to check all thinkable.
some parts of the sytem are hidden to a 32 bit app
only a 64 bit app can access everything.

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping