[wpkg-users] Unable to install AutoCAD 2010 via WPKG

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Apr 16 12:36:43 CEST 2010

Hi Patrick,

On 16.04.2010 01:47, phlee wrote:
> Has anyone been able to successfully install AutoCAD 2010 via WPKG? I've
> been wrestling with this over the past week or so but I just can't figure it
> out. I created a network deployment of AutoCAD 2010 and copied it to my
> Software share. I used the command specified in the shortcut created for my
> install command:
>
> <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010 64-bit\AdminImage\setup.exe"
> /q /I "%SOFTWARE%\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010 64-bit\AdminImage\AutoCAD 2010
> 64-bit.ini" /language en-us' />
>
> When I run this command manually, AutoCAD installs correctly but when I run
> WPKG, I get a 1603 error in my logs but not any details about which MSI of
> AutoCAD's failed. I've also tried wrapping the above command in a batch file
> along with a ping command to pause the execution of the installation as
> mentioned in a previous post but that didn't work.
>
> I've also tried modifying the AutoCAD 2008 instructions from the Silent
> Installers page and making a package based on the commands from the 2nd part
> of the Notes section of this AppDeploy article:
> http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=1575. When I do this, I get
> a non-working installation of AutoCAD 2010 where there's a missing DLL -
> usually adui18res.dll.
>
> The strange thing is that running the setup.exe command manually installs
> AutoCAD 2010 without any prompts so it *should* work. Thoughts? Any help
> would be much appreciated.

AutoCAD might not like the UNC path given in the /I parameter. Maybe it fails to
fetch the INI file. In some cases you might need to copy the installation
sources to a local (temporary) folder and install from there.

Try wrapping the installer with a cmd script which copies the sources to %TEMP%
and then launch the installer from there.

I also noticed that in case of Java the JRE MSI file is named something like
"jre1.5.0_20.msi" and needs to be renamed to "jre.msi" in order for silent
installations from UNC paths to work. It will also yield error 1603 if not
renamed. However here the name of the MSI file missing was indicated in an error
log of the windows installer in Windows event log.