[wpkg-users] Package upgrade and checks

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Thu Apr 22 15:32:45 CEST 2010

> Hi Marc,
>
> On 22.04.2010 13:46, heiko.helmle at horiba.com wrote:
> > If you don't mind, I'll try to keep the patch in the bugzilla bug
> > updated with new wpkg revisions.

---snip

> For sure I fully agree that you can continue to maintain the
> patch and I am even
> thinking about including it (with proper level of
> documentation) into WPKG.
>
> Thanks for the discussion.
>
> Rainer

I have never had any problems defining proper checks.

If possible I examine the DisplayVersion value of the uninstall key:

        <check type="uninstall" condition="versiongreaterorequal" path="Adobe Reader 9.3.+" value="9.3" />

If there is no DisplayVersion value, I examine the file version of the main executable:

        <check type="logical" condition="or">
                <check type="file" condition="versiongreaterorequal" path="%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" value="9.3" />
                <check type="file" condition="versiongreaterorequal" path="%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" value="9.3" />
        </check>

As you can see checking the uninstall key is not entirely sufficient, since it may be left over from an incomplete deinstallation.

Checking for the uninstall information and the main executable seems to take care of many problems.

---
Stefan