[wpkg-users] Excluding particular OS and architecture types from patch application

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Apr 28 18:10:04 CEST 2010

Mandi! Rainer Meier
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I will definitely think about such a feature - or something similar. But I will
> not include such a thing on short notice.

Good!

> Even the logic behind quite simple. Instead of defining a profile which assigns
> some packages only to specific OS or OS versions it just assigns the package to
> the profile - no matter if the machines in this profile run OS x or OS y. The
[...]
> In addition I thin it's wrong to define in the package definition whether the
> package should be applied to the node. I would rather prefer to define OS
> dependency in profile specification. So one could specify that a specific
> package is applied to the profile only if OS/Version matches.

I think both.

As your script, could be that i can define a package that do different
things (actions, checks, ...) for different install.
But also i can define different package for different OS.

Third, could be that i can define the same package (name) but with two
or more specification for two or more OS. But i think that this will
work good only in conjunction with some ''metapackage'' definition ala
dpkg/rpm...

The base rule are: leave to recipe writer the power: clearly if a
package is strictly os or arch tagged and cited on another package as
dependencies, wpkg will complain that package deps was not satisfiable.
But this does not brake WPKG logic nor add a real layer of complexity
in debugging recipe writing...

> Exposing some variables like WPKG_OS or WPKG_ARCH to the app/script run by WPKG
> would probably simplify script-writing slightly. But honestly I don't see much
> simplification for my scripts whether I have to write

You're right, indeed there's no a big difference between yor script and
this.

But i consider XML a more ''self documenting'' format, and really i
hate CMD scripting that turn in really unreadable pieces of code.

Apart that in XML there's a finer error handling, put every command in
a <install /> statement...

Clerarly, it's my opinion. ;-)

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php