[wpkg-users] Bandwidth Limiting

Terrell, Trey Trey.Terrell at oregonstate.edu
Fri Aug 27 23:11:41 CEST 2010

Howdy folks. While working on getting WPKG all set up my administrator requested a feature that is apparently available in SCCM but not with this. We're thinking about moving application deployment over to WPKG due to the simplicity, so that future employees (student employees) will be able to easily pick it up and continue it. When a new update comes out we need some method of limiting the bandwidth of the transfer to those computers, so it won't slow the entire network down. If we need to push (via sending every online computer a command) an important update it'll drain our network significantly for as long as it takes everyone to update. The only thought was that if we can't figure out throttling then we need some sort of method of grouping hosts and only doing 20 or so at a time. Doing that manually with the web interface would be awful (unless I change it, which I may have to do), so I was hoping you'd all have some ideas. (Just a side note - we're talking hundreds of computers here. Hence the awful.)

Thanks,

Trey