[wpkg-users] Windows 7 - Compatible?

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 21:56:06 CET 2010

Brent,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Brent A Nelson <brent at phys.ufl.edu> wrote:
> As things stand now, we've been reluctant to upgrade large packages (say,
> Office 2007->2010), as this would be applied when they turn on their
> computers, and they might have to wait an hour before they can use their
> machines.  But if the user got a notice that the update was ready, they
> could choose to apply it or be aware that it will install on the next
> reboot.

Have you considered running wpkg.js outside of business hours (either
with a scheduled task or cron job) to install such large packages?
You may also have other reasons for not doing that, but I thought I'd
ask.

> Once you have those features, will you be adding support where a
> non-privileged user could potentially launch a wpkg upgrade while logged in?
> Perhaps much like Windows/Microsoft updates, where it could check to see if
> there are any changes every so often, and then let the user know what
> changes would be applied and give them the option to proceed? That would be
> very cool.

At some point in the past, I had an unofficial (custom) wpkg service
installed, and I used setacl.exe to change the permissions on the
service so that non-admin users could start it.  I'm not sure if this
would work with Windows 7 or not, but it might solve half of your
problem.  I'm pretty sure that services can't interact with the
desktop in Vista and Win7, so that still leaves the task of notifying
the user of the update(s).

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I thought I
throw it out there anyway.

Cheers,

Troy