[wpkg-users] Using BITS to transfer files?

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Fri Dec 31 00:22:04 CET 2010

Am Donnerstag, 30. Dezember 2010, 11:42:54 schrieb Marco Gaiarin:
> Mandi! Rainer Meier
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > So please consider setting up a distributed WPKG configuration where
> > local nodes fetch packages from a local software repository server.
>
> I add some consideration.
>
> I agree, but i've also found the limit of these approach syncing a full
> repository within sites that are connected with slow VPN link, instead
> of using the full (local) internet speed.
>
> Some days ago i've asked some more info on the download tag:
>
> 	http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/2010-December/007134.html
>
> (with no answer at all) exactly because the internal repository have
> some limit, and the download tag also.
>
> 1) samba does not support accessing shares using machine account, so
>  there's no way to setup a shared repository for the download tag, apart
> a repository with ''full write from everyone'' that i don't want to
> setup.

I can't confirm this.  I'm running WPKG off a samba server and the clients
access the share with machine credentials just fine.  I've granted read access
to the "Domain Computers" group and all is well.
The share that the clients write their logfile to is writable by "Domain
Computers" and has the sticky bit set a client can only mess with the log
file(s) it created.

Cheers,
Malte