[wpkg-users] wpkg-gp: Running WPKG as a Group Policy Extention

cleitet at gmail.com cleitet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:26:46 CET 2010

Dear WPKG-users

I am happy to announce to you that I have released a "working" version of
wpkg-gp: A Group Policy Extention that executes wpkg, meant to be an
alternative to WPKG client, although it hasn't nearly the same level of
features.

The project is available at: http://code.google.com/p/wpkg-gp/ along with an
Installation Guide<http://code.google.com/p/wpkg-gp/w/edit/InstallationGuide>
.

What I have now is something compiled for x86 and tested on Microsoft
Windows XP and Windows 7 only (so far) with Domain Group Policies and Local
Group Policies. I have not been able to test it extensively, so bugs should
be expected, and it is _not_ meant for production (yet).

What wpkg-gp does is to execute wpkg.js, and delay login until it is
finished, much like what WPKG Client does today. However, it also has a few
additional features:

   - Delays logon on Windows Vista and Windows 7
   - Presents status information to the user (Which packages are being
   installed etc.)
   - Behaves much like the Group Policy Install feature Included in Active
   Directory, but now you have the power of WPKG at your hands.

See the current issues, and post bugs here:
http://code.google.com/p/wpkg-gp/issues/list

I hope this can be of some use to others as well :)

cleitet