[wpkg-users] /sendStatus command not working

Damian Kasper dkasper at jw.org.au
Mon Feb 8 00:02:34 CET 2010

Rainer, thanks for your information, however I understand how WPKG
works, and the WPKG client 1.3.9 is definitely supposed to be able to
read from STDIN and support /sendStatus

21-Sep-2009

WPKG Client 1.3.9 has been released.

Small summary (not to be complete):

*	32-bit and 64-bit client versions
*	support for /sendStatus switch of wpkg.js 1.1.x (display the
progress in the message window)

The question is, why doesn't it work? It certainly has nothing to do
with VC++. I'm thinking it is more to do with a service that our Group
Policy is blocking. Are there dependant services required?

Regarding logon/shutdown delay, this is most certainly a required
feature, for a number of reasons:

1) Much of our software requires a reboot. We simply cannot
automatically reboot production users during the day, no matter how much
"warning" you give people.
2) Much of our software takes 5-10 minutes to install, however the icons
sometimes become available before installation completes. Hence, users
can "run" the software before its finished installing, and it will
crash, sometimes ruining the actual installation.
3) Installing software slows down the computer and network connection,
thus interfering with production users.

I am curious if Windows 7 will support logon delay, or at least shutdown
delay. Status messages are more important if we use the Execute at
System start-up, but we could easily swap to Execute on shutdown.
However Execute on shutdown will of coarse only work with a shutdown
delay :)

We will be migrating our 300 users to Windows 7 in the near future, so
WPKG compatibility with that is quite an important factor... I guess we
need to start testing.