[wpkg-users] Old Feature Request / Perhaps New Idea

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Wed Feb 17 16:03:17 CET 2010

> The function WshShell.SpecialFolders() does get the paths for
> the special folders know to the system, so this will always
> return the correct folder for any Windows version starting with Win95.
>
> To delete shortcuts, I use the following additional script:

---snip

> In addition reading the registry is a bit risky, since there
> are two locations where those special folders are stored and
> one of them is only used for backwards compatibility with Win9x/ME.
>
> You may check
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0ea7b5xe%28VS.85%29.aspx
> for a full list of supported special folders, to have a workaround till this might get implemented.

I do have currently nine separate JS scripts to handle different destination folders, since this was easier to change without having to much time on my hand.
There is one for each creating, existence checking and deleting, start menu, desktop and start-up shortcuts.

I will do a consolidation into one script, if time permits, which will allow submitting the special folder as an argument and the action to take too.

---
Stefan