[wpkg-users] Will WPKG uninstall software it did not install?

Peter Gough pmgough at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 13:00:39 CET 2010

My experience is that this is *mostly* true.

For example if you decide to roll out v1 of a package but a user has already
manually installed v2 and your check only looks for v1 files then you could
potentially have a situation where wpkg tries to install the older version
on top of the newer version. This would happen when your check conditions
fail even if the software is already installed.

My advice would be to setup a test environment first, rollout wpkg to a
select pilot group of patient users and then introduce the across the rest
of your machines.

BTW are users really able to install anything they want in your environment?
Sounds like a recipe for potential disaster!