[wpkg-users] Program installs fine when calling js, but not when through service

David Petterson david at ifm.liu.se
Sun Jul 11 19:20:33 CEST 2010

Mike Morawski wrote:
>  Thanks for the continued support. I have it working, somewhat.. I did
> what you said and no change, I also got rid of everything and just tried
> the install line (and put install files locally and nothing else). After
> that didn't work I looked for some debugging logs the program might
> output. Found them, and it was trying to launch another install from
> it's own install (instmmc.exe and hhupd.exe)

I had a lot of problems with missing %COMSPEC% /C <command> >nul 2>&1
Every time I run a manual install it worked, but when I run it with the
wpkg client it failed. Now I use %COMSPEC% /C and >nul 2>&1 to most of
my commands that is not MSI-packages.

Don't know if it helps, but in XP you can force start a CMD to run as
system, very handy while debugging and testing packages.
In a CMD, run "at xx:xx /interactive cmd" where xx:xx is the time you
want it to start. It has to be %TIME%+00:01 or it will start the next day.