[wpkg-users] Start WPKG service with run at shutdown

Gerd Ott gerdott at taz.de
Mon Jun 21 14:38:17 CEST 2010

Daniel Dehennin schrieb:
> Hello,
>
>> I'm using WPKG client on workstations with run on shutdown to avoid user
>> annoyance.
>>
> [...]
>
> I plan to create a shutdown task, late at night, but I need to permit
> users to cancel the shutdown if they are using the computer.
>
> I found "shut it"[1] which seems doing what I want, any advice to
> shutdown computers and permit late workers to prevent (or better delay)
> the shutdown?
>
> Regards.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://www.delphiness.com/software.htm

Hi,
The Pstool psshutdown has an option to allow the shutdown to be aborted
by the interactive user too:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897541.aspx
BTW.:
I'm very satisfied running wpkg-client 1.3.14 on shutdown on about 85
xp- and w2k- clients, thanks to the developer.
My colleagues administering debian workstations were running
software-updates both on shutdown and on startup.
This could be useful, if you want to deploy a big installation as
openoffice on shutdown and deploy an urgent security-update on startup,
but does not work if a machine has been switched off for a long time.
Regards,
Gerd