[wpkg-users] Deployment over Internet

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Jun 21 21:16:02 CEST 2010

Hi Philipp,

On 21.06.2010 16:27, Philipp v. Thunen wrote:
> Pushing this message... Doesn't anybody have an idea? :-(
>
> Regards,
> Philipp
>
>> From: Philipp v. Thunen
>> Date: 05/04/2010 19:50
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I found the following thread in the wpkg-users archive
>> http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/2009-April/004741.html
>> and tried to create such a solution for me too, because I have clients
>> (just a few) that can't access my WPKG server via Samba.
>>
>> To test this, I copied wpkg.js and config.xml to %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg on
>> the client machine and uploaded hosts.xml, profiles.xml and packages.xml
>> (which contains <download url=...> tags) to my webserver. In the
>> config.xml, I changed the wpkg_base parameter to my HTTP path
>> (http://myuser:myerpass@myserver).

Yes this should basically work. But you need to assure that all files needed for
installation/upgrade/downgrade are listed in download nodes so WPKG can download
them. Also this feature is not very widely used and you might encounter some issues.

>> Unfortunately, wpkg seems to expect a wpkg_web installation under this
>> path (because it appends profiles_xml_out.php to the URL):

Yes it does. This feature to fetch the XML databases via HTTP has been added for
web-based management tools like wpkg_web. However you do not necessarily need to
run wpkg_web. Any HTTP server serving packages_xml_out.php, profiles_xml_out.php
and hosts_xml_out.php should do it. The names are configurable in config.xml.
You might want to try setting them as follows:

<param name='web_packages_file_name' value='packages.xml' />
<param name='web_profiles_file_name' value='profiles.xml' />
<param name='web_hosts_file_name'    value='hosts.xml' />

So it will fetch these three files instead from the URL configured in wpkg_base.
Any Apache server should do the job then.

>> Do I have to install wpkg_web or does this solution work without it? If
>> yes, where is my mistake?

See above. It should work with a simple HTTP server too.