[wpkg-users] WPKG and WPKG-GP

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 22:50:34 CEST 2010

On 22/06/2010 14:49, Stanislav Zhelyazkov wrote:
> Is there a way to deploy WPKG-GP trough WPKG client? I want to deploy it
> silently and to set all setting from
> http://code.google.com/p/wpkg-gp/wiki/InstallationGuide maybe trough
> registry. Is it possible WPKG client and WPKG-GP to work together?

Hi Stanislav,
You can deploy WPKG-GP client through WPKG as you would any other msi, e.g.
msiexec.exe /i wpkg-gp-versionnumber_[x86|x64].msi
ADDLOCAL=listoffeatures /qn
where list of features can be combination of any of
(GPExtentionFeature,ADMComponentFeature,WPKGGPClientFeature)

Do you intend to use it in a domain environment?
If you are using M$ AD or samba4 you should add WPKG-GP.adm to the list
of the GPO's on your domain controller and configure it there
if you using samba3 with a bit of tweking you can deploy it to the
clients through system policy.
Otherwise install the adm template and apply it as a Local Group Policy.

As for running together i think its more trouble that its worth.
First you need to consider the race conditions, especially when using
the same WPKG share - they will both try to write to the same wpkg.xml
file. I'm not sure what is the order of execution (first policies than
service startup, or vice versa), you could control service startup from
the group policy. Secondly some of the installers can't be run side by
side (like msi's) - this will result in failed installations.

The only way i can see it working is if WPKG-GP client is run during
startup (it can only run during startup atm), and WPKG client is run
during shutdown

Regards

Luk