[wpkg-users] A few issue

Vasaris krx at takas.lt
Tue Mar 2 12:25:03 CET 2010

Hi,

   Now after some time, I would like to report some issues:

1. .msiI upgrade scenario does not work in Active Directory environment (IntelliMirror). For example .msi package with client 1.3.9 is set to upgrade to 1.3.14 beta. The upgrade fails, and the screen show "Removing WPKG 1.3.9 ....". I am almost 100% that this happens because .msi package does not have respective actions to stop WPKG service, if it exist before performing any actions. This result in .msi package waiting for the service to quit, but it never happens. Should be corrected.

2. The same happens on downgrade (1.3.14 -> 1.3.9). There is specific event:

Product: WPKG -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action _0D93E37A_01AF_44E4_AFDA_E73FD4D75323, location: C:\Program Files\wpkg\WPKGSrv.exe, command: /remove

3. 1+2 condition means, that before any upgrade, removal or reinstall, there is absolute need to use group policy to set WPKG service to disabled. If this is not done, all the computers are broken immediatelly, because they are stuck Application Deployment screen.

4. 1.3.14 is broken. It does not reads settings.xml file on the client side. I have custom settings.xml to install on the shutdown instead of the startup, custom messages localizes in Lithuanian - does not work any of it.

And there is no feedback for this error in any of the log, despite the /debug option @31 debug bit level. Feedback should be added, to diferentiate usage between some constants compiled-in and custom settings.xml file.

5. After the downgrade 1.3.9, WPKG service does not work @shutdown, as expected, it hangs. The error is:

The instruction at "0x0040a704" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory could not be "read". There is dialog +progress bar of WPKGMessage.exe process running in the background, but nothing really happens.

6. The online documentation lacks precise information, how to set local execution variables in the WPKG service config screen. For example, I want to set SOFTWARE variable. Should I input SOFTWARE or %SOFTWARE% in the left? And for the value - should I include qoutes "" around the path, or not? Should I include it, if the path has spaces?

That is all for the moment, hope this input is valuable.

Regards,

Andrew.