[wpkg-users] A few issue

Vasaris krx at takas.lt
Tue Mar 2 15:34:02 CET 2010

> Subscribe to wpkg-announce list, you will be notified of any stable releases.

Thanks, I will do that.

> > Do you mean, that 1.3.14 =>  1.3.14+ upgrade will be fixed? Or from pre-1.3.14 =>  1.3.14?
>
> 1.3.14 => 1.3.14+.

OK.

> pre-1.3.14 => 1.3.14 will still work in most cases, but you're not one of them.

Yes, indeed :-)

> Making pre-1.3.14 => 1.3.14 always work would need some substantial
> changes - if you're affected and want to sponsor the effect, let me know...

You mean, to test out? I would gladly help, because I am interested in support of AD/GP way of the WPKG service-client deployment.

> > I am sorry, but I do not understand that. What, does it means "applied"? Is is stored in wpkginst.exe itself, as compiled?
>
> Imported into secure lockers in the registry.

Yes, I have found that already with Registry Monitor. But I beg my pardon, how may I change these settings on clients, to which they there already deployed, for example if they fail to satisfy my deplyment config?

> > Until now, I have thought, that settings.xml file is read everytime by WPKG service, when it runs.
>
> No, it is not and never was.

But how to change any of these settings AFTER the client was deployed? It makes no sense, if this one-way process. Does this mean, that I have logon, run wpkinst.exe, import settings from some network location, hit "Save" button manually just to update secure lockers of the service for the new settings?

> > And that it is specified in .mst transform, or in the command line, if the client .msi package is deployed manually. And this setting goes to the service startup parameters. May you clarify this for me?
>
> I don't know what you did with the .mst transform, so I can't help you with this.

I have only added on property - SETTINGSFILE, pointing to the local location with settings.xml. I did not even think, that settings.xml is not read every time, when service runs.

> Certainly, the service does not read settings.xml file upon startup.

I do not understand why :(. I know, that there might be password and username stored in settins.xml, which should be protected. But for exampe - if I would like to change execution from startup to shutdown, of change execution max. time-window, how would I do that?

Regards,

Andrew.