[wpkg-users] "The network path was not found." - Windows 7, wireless connection.

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 21:21:04 CET 2010

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:21:35 -0500
> From: brinegar at physics.unc.edu
> CC: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
> Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] "The network path was not found." - Windows 7, wireless connection.
>
> This does not seem to be true for Windows XP. I have not tested this on
> Windows 7, but if I had to guess I would think it is
> connection-dependent. The user is asked to configure the Wireless
> Connection (if applicable) in the OOBE when setting up Windows - which
> occurs before a login occurs. This deserves some more investigation
> with multiple wireless authentication schemes.
>
> To the original poster:
>
> I would investigate forcing the WPKG service to depend on the Wireless
> Connection. It will not start until the service or system component
> becomes available. You should be careful with what you select, because
> you may run into situations that won't let WPKG start. I've only worked
> with service dependencies on Windows XP, but I'm sure there's
> documentation out on the net that will help you. Note that the service
> depends on AFD and TCP/IP by default. That should be a start, in any case.
>
> Justin
>
> Kevin Keane wrote:
> > I believe Windows establishes the wireless connection only at login. This is because with some types of wireless authentication (Enterprise/RADIUS-based), the Windows user name and password actually doubles as wireless user name and password.

This isn't a Win7 issue per-se, I've seen it recently on some XP Home netbooks too.  The current Beta of wpkg client has an option to restart the service up to 10 times if it fails.  I found this was enough to ensure the wireless connection was made during up to these 10 restarts.

wpkg already depends on the tcp/ip service but this doesn't seem enough to handle some slow wireless connectivity issues.

Chris