[wpkg-users] Periodical wpkg script execution from wprg client

Wed Mar 24 15:30:54 CET 2010

I understand where you are coming from. Dealing with users, high-ranking users in particular, sometimes can be tricky. Sometimes it may help to explain to them that just as a car needs to go to the shop for maintenance, a computer does, too. But you are right, political concerns can be a problem.

I don't know your situation, of course, but sometimes it may actually help for you to think of the situation differently. Your managers didn't hire you just to do a job. They actually hired you because a problem needs to be solved. Think of yourself as a "lawyer" part of whose job is to tell the manager "hey, to solve this problem, I need you to do X, Y and Z" rather than a mechanic who just has to get wpkg to work.

That said, having such a strategy of "automatic reboot every night" may actually help you deal with that issue. You will have the issue of disruption anyway if one of the "quietly deploying apps" requires a reboot. By scheduling a reboot every night, you make this predictable and hide it at a time when he is asleep.

What people hate about rebooting etc. is primarily that they don't have control. People will happily spend an hour playing solitaire but get upset about a five-minute reboot.