[wpkg-users] Unable to start wpkg in Windows 7 until I manually connect to WPKG share

metropolio plee at cca.edu
Thu Mar 25 00:38:23 CET 2010

Christian Schmidt-16 wrote:

> Hello Patrick,
>
> Patrick Lee, 23.03.2010 (d.m.y):
>
>> I'm using Samba 3.0.25 on a Mac OS X Server. I've upped the logging
>> level on Samba and there are connections being made from my test
>> machine so something is going through. I am getting this error
>> message:
>
>> /SourceCache/samba/samba-187.9/samba/source/smbd/msdfs.c:get_referred_path(624)
>>   get_referred_path: |WPKG| in dfs path \ip-address-of.wpkg-server\WPKG
>> is not a dfs root.
>                                           ^
> 					  Is this a typo? AFAIK you
> 					  need two backslashes
> 					  there...
>
> Gruss/Regards,
> Christian Schmidt

Indeed, it is a typo though I *think* I've figured out what was going on. In
my environment, I have a share called WPKG and a user account called wpkg
that I use as the WPKG path user. In my Samba setup, \\server\username maps
to the home directory of username but in this situation, the home directory
for the user wpkg is not the same as the path that the WPKG share points to.
I had checked my Samba logs and noticed that Samba was trying to connect to
the home directory for wpkg (and not the \\server\wpkg share), which was
non-existent. As soon as I pointed to a share not called WPKG that contained
wpkg.js or changed the username of the WPKG path user, wpkg started just
fine. wpkg also started up when I changed the home directory location of
wpkg to the same path of the wpkg share, which is what I've done.

I'm not too sure why this behavior didn't show up in XP but I hope this
helps someone else out!

Patrick