[wpkg-users] Newbie question: Package Naming Best Practices?

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Wed Mar 31 23:22:51 CEST 2010

I use a scheme somewhat inspired by how Gentoo Linux name their packages.  The
packages are named like:

admin/tightvnc
arch/7-zip
media/vlc
web/firefox
web/firefox/addon/adblockplus
os/winxp/kb123456
etc.

Same goes for profile names that pull in the respective package(s).
Some profiles exist for frequently used package combinations and default
setups, most of them directly inherit from a profile "base" by depending on
it.  "base" in turn depends on "env" which pulls in no packages but defines
variables like %SOFTWARE%.
I use the original package versions as revision numbers, only adjusted should
their syntax be impractical for comparisons.  Should a package change without
a real upgrade of the software it installs, e.g. due to changed administrative
settings or fixes to the package, I append a local revision number like this
for Firefox: 3.6.2 => 3.6.2-r1 - again inspired by Gentoo practise.
Exceptions exist, like for MS Office I tag the major version into the package
name to allow for clients with 2003 while others get 2007:
office/ms-office/2003
office/ms-office/2008

Kind regards,
Malte