[wpkg-users] wpkg: proposed changes to <download> tag

Thu Oct 21 12:57:01 CEST 2010

The new switches /download and /nodownload I proposed would be used to distinguish between what the client is supposed to do and what the server is supposed to do.

/download would cause ONLY the download tag to be used, and all other tags would be ignored. /nodownload would ignore all /download tags, but otherwise process the installation as usual (or as specified by other switches).

Since the client would never download, the target would only have to be specified on the server (obviously, it must be possible to specify the target PATH, just as the original requester proposed).

For instance, let's say that clients see this directory structure:

\\SERVER\Software\wpkg\packages
\\SERVER\Software\wpkg\packagedata

\\SERVER\Software<file:///\\SERVER\Software> might translate to D:\Software on the server.

The way I would use it is this. On the server, run the following every day at midnight:

SET SOFTWAREDOWNLOAD=D:\Software\wpkg\packagedata
Wpkg.js /download

(note: this isn't going to work on a Linux server, of course. An enhancement to my suggestion would be to make the download part portable).

On the client, run the following on bootup (or whenever you like):

SET SOFTWAREDOWNLOAD=\\SERVER\Software\wpkg\packagedata
Wpkg.js /nodownload /synchronize

A sample package file for Firefox might look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<packages>
  <package id="firefox"  name="Mozilla Firefox 3.6.11" revision="3611" reboot="false" priority="10">
       <download url="http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.11/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%203.6.11.exe" targetpath="%SOFTWAREDOWNLOAD%\firefox" />
      <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Mozilla Firefox (3.6.11)" />
      <install cmd='"%SOFTWAREDOWNLOAD%\firefox\Firefox Setup 3.6.11.exe" -ms'/>
      <upgrade cmd='"% SOFTWAREDOWNLOAD %\firefox\Firefox Setup 3.6.11.exe" -ms'/>
      <remove cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe" /s' />
    </package>
</packages>