[wpkg-users] Large deployments and fileshares [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Michael Chinn Michael.Chinn at gbrmpa.gov.au
Fri Sep 3 07:18:22 CEST 2010

Just had an unfortunate experience with deploying and acrobat reader update from 8 to 9.3.4
It's a simple administrative install point on a samba server with a custom MST.
All went well when people logged on until 0850 when the server suddenly died under the load of machines trying to copy 109mb of data.

Does anyone know of an effective way to mitigate this.
I ended up changing the script to robocopy the admin install point to the local machine before deploying from there as a work around.
Does WPKG have any ability to do failover if the main deployment files aren't available or should I script for this?

Michael Chinn
PC Support Office
Information and Communications Technology
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
2-68 Flinders Street
PO Box 1379
Townsville Qld 4810

Ph:    07 4750 0855
Fax:   07 4772 6093
email: michael.chinn at gbrmpa.gov.au

Visit us at: http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately
by return email and delete all copies. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or
distribution of this email is prohibited.