[wpkg-users] WPKG doesn't run at startup

David Naylor DNaylor at TEXASTRUSTCU.ORG
Wed Sep 22 18:43:55 CEST 2010

I can't seem to generate any useful logs, so I took a new approach.  I
have copied unedited copies of hosts.xml, packages.xml, profiles.xml,
and wpkg.js into a shared directory on a server.

Then I installed the WPKG client on a workstation.  I have debugging
turned on at the workstation level.  When I run the service manually (or
reboot) it seems WPKG does run and does write to the debug log.
However, I still keep getting the "Script execution: failure. Exit code:
1" message.

I could understand the script not working at this point because perhaps
it is having a problem with the fact that I haven't assigned any
computers or tasks.  However, what puzzles me is that when I run this
command from a command line:  "cscript \\(serverIP)\wpkg\wpkg.js
/synchronize /debug" it does activate the script, which shows me the
correct dialogue windows about the installer service and finishes with a
tidy "No reboot was necessary.  All updates are complete" message.  This
indicates to me there was no failure and the scripts are OK.

It seems to me there is something that needs to change with the WPKG
client to make it call the wpkg.js script properly from the server.  I'm
having a hard time figuring out what that might be because I have the
correct path to wpkg.js listed in the GUI and the "Test settings" button
returns a success.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Thanks