[wpkg-users] WPKG Development Status

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Mon Apr 4 14:47:36 CEST 2011

"cleitet at gmail.com" <cleitet at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> - Have an easy to use interface for configuration that makes it easy to
> distribute the configuration to many clients (still trying and failing on
> this)

We use a git repository to distribute the cmd scripts and the WPKG
files, works pretty well ;-)

> - Optionally run in system tray and check for updated packages at regular
> intervals. Inform users about updates and prompt them with alternatives.
> (the platform is designed to be able do this)

Here, we do not want to have messages in system tray. Our users get
bored by such ToolTips.

> - Hopefully be able to install software at shutdown with feedback to user
> (this is not easily achievable AFAIK, as Windows does not have an API for
> giving information to users at shutdown)

We run WPKG client at shutdown to avoid a delay at startup, our users
are more inclined to have a shutdown delay rather than a startup one.

I wonder how the windows "install updates and shutdown" works, seems
that we can register[1] an application to block the shutdown process.

The user can force the shutdown to occur, if so, the client can force a
run at the next startup if it was canceled by the user (like the windows
update agent IIRC).

I'm not familiar with windows programming, and honestly, I do not want
to become... ;-)

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5217246/how-to-delay-shutdown-and-run-a-process-in-window-service/5217364#5217364