[wpkg-users] deploying via Domain Controller netlogon share?

Michael Seward MichaelSeward at tengroup.com
Wed Apr 6 17:39:45 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use WPKG with the default 'netlogon' share on our domain
controllers, with a sub-folder of 'wkpg' - so that whichever site a PC is on the
WPKG client can get the install package locally instead of downloading packages
across our WAN.

I'm trying to reference the netlogon share in the WPKG client by using the
%LOGONSERVER% variable, but the client crashes when I do this. E.g. the entry in
the client settings 'WPKG file path' is %LOGONSERVER%\netlogon\wpkg\wpkg.js and
the SOFTWARE variable is set as '%LOGONSERVER%\netlogon\wpkg\software'

Has anyone used this approach and if so how do I correctly reference the system
variable for the netlogon share through the client settings? I don't want to
specify a server name or IP address as that then links the client only to that
site and I'll have to setup WPKG repositories on each site.

Any thoughts are very welcome!

Thanks.