[wpkg-users] wpkg not installing packages for user, only using default

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Fri Aug 19 23:23:51 CEST 2011

On 8/19/2011 4:17 PM, Stefan Pendl wrote:
>> I actually recommend the first option. Making sure each hosts
>> gets only one
>> single profile assigned. You can still apply "default"
>> profile by specifying
>> dependencies between profiles.
>>
> I second Rainer's advice.
>
> ----
>
> The problem is the following section from wpkg-check.log:
>
> Hosts file contains 18 hosts:
> 'name=adelatorre2','profile-id=default64'
> 'name=demo7','profile-id=demo'
> 'name=severett2','profile-id=newdefault64'
> 'name=DBROOKS','profile-id=dbrooks'
> 'name=.+','profile-id=default'
> 'name=rsmart2','profile-id=newdefault64'
> 'name=jomiles','profile-id=is-staff'
> 'name=searchroom4','profile-id=searchroom'
> 'name=DBROOKS','profile-id=dbrooks'
> 'name=jbaughn','profile-id=default64'
> 'name=jbaughn2','profile-id=default64'
> 'name=adelatorre','profile-id=default64'
> 'name=plieb','profile-id=default64'
> 'name=checkout1','profile-id=checkout1'
> 'name=rquinn2','profile-id=default64'
> 'name=sokolsky','profile-id=is-staff'
> 'name=morrisey','profile-id=default64'
> 'name=jgardner2','profile-id=newdefault64'
>
> As you can see the definition "'name=jomiles','profile-id=is-staff'" is located after "'name=.+','profile-id=default'", which
> results in any of the following machines using the default profile.
>
> It seems that you have set up one hosts file for each machine, where it would be more practical to have one hosts file for each
> department or room.
> You even have two dbrooks hosts files as it seems, that is really strange.
>
> In your case I would even use only one hosts file, since there are not so much hosts.
>
> Finally, I have never had a need to use the match-all ".+" pattern.
>
> If we could get some insight on your environment, we will be able to give you better help.
>

> ---
> Stefan
>
> WPKG 1.2.1-RC07
>
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
> AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2GHz, 4GB RAM
>
> Top-posting:
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

You are exactly right. I only had the catch all as we had previously had
some pc's that we didn't care to setup proper hostnames as they were
only in the setup bay for a day then out in the field never to return,
or get updates for that matter. The reason I had two for my pc is I was
testing something but the duplicate has been removed. I have solved the
issue I think by removing the default entry and placing it in the
\\management\wpkg\hosts.xml file. But now that we don't really have a
"need" for the default entry I have removed it altogether.

running samba-3.0.33. But now that I have removed the default entry all
seems to be doing well. Thanks to all for the help on this. You guys
totally rock!

Donny B.