[wpkg-users] Relax Win 7 permissions for unprivileged users

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Fri Feb 11 19:17:52 CET 2011

For some applications I need to relax the security settings on the Program Directory.
For example, I would like Mozilla firefox and thunderbird to be able to self-update
even for my users that are unprivileged. I thought something like the following would
work in a batch file:

"%SOFTWARE%\firefox\Firefox Setup 3.6.12.exe" -ms
icacls "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox" /grant Users:F

But I've had inconsistent results. Is this the best method?

Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.