[wpkg-users] Silent Installers, MSI switches and security pop up boxes

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 08:46:11 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Nick Elmendorf <nelmendorf at slcpl.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to install a program and need it to run silently.
>
> In a command prompt I am able to run oddownloadstationsetup.msi /quiet /passive and it works, but it first brought up a security warning window about what to do with these types of files. I unchecked the box about prompting me to do it again, deleted the program from my computer and rebooted to see if the package would install it and all that happens is the program launches, but gets hung on a screen that is being obscured from my vision (however it is about the same size as that security warning box).

not really sure and cannont test now (no Windows pc at home), but I
think msiexec needs another switch to run silently. The way I do it
is:

msiexec /i msifile.msi /qn

so you need to use the /i switch before the path to the *.msi file and
then the /qn switch to do it silently without user interaction. To
uninstall, change /i for /x .

Running as a local admin I get no UAC prompts this way on a windows 7
workstation.

--
natxo