[wpkg-users] Replace xmlhttp download with curl/wget

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Jul 15 11:32:00 CEST 2011

Mandi! Rainer Meier
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Is there a reason this could not be done using existing commands?
[...]
> I agree that using a "special download command" flag would be
> possible too. I would then prefer to call a cmd script (included in
> wplkg distribution) with all required parameters like
> downloader.cmd <URL> <target> <MD5>

Probably my english are very bad, but i mean exactly that.

> So this script could handle download and verification as needed
> using any tool you like and any flags suitable for your environment
> (e.g. proxy flags).

Never minded about proxies. Right.

> Well, still I am not sure where the advantage over using this script
> as one of the first commands would be.

+ WSH, as stated in this list, have poor performance and limited
 features when downloading

+ WSH, as stated again here, have no hash function, any hash algorithm
 have to be implemented in pure WSH or relay on an external script

So seems reasonable to, optionally, relay on an external script; seems
reasonable, because we can relay on an external script, to add the
'md5' field to <download /> tag, that the internal WSH downloaded
ignore but can be passed, optionally, to the external script.

You are right, we can just use existing <install /> and <update />
tags to do so, but the <download /> tag just exist, and i think is
more cleaner to use it.

[ Indeed, this have nothing to do with my ''server side download'' script,
  using the global /noDownlaod switch on wpkg.js.
  Clearly, also my script can be easily extended to use md5 hashes... ]

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php