[wpkg-users] Deploying System in Real-Time

Peter Gough pmgough at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 00:52:59 CEST 2011

When you run the script locally are you using the same account as you're
using with psexec? Also might be worth taking a look at the event viewer
(Start > Run > eventvwr.msc) and checking for errors. I suspect that your
package install isn't completing correctly - perhaps the checks fail - which
would mean the wpkg.xml wouldn't be updated.

The other thing I do for troubleshooting is to open a command prompt on a
problem machine (make sure you run it as Administrator) and run
'\\wpkg-server\wpkg-share\wpkg.js /synchronize', i.e. without the /nonotify
and /quiet switches. This should give you a bit more info in terms of
tracking down what's happening with your install.

To answer your final question my XP clients have the wpkg-client installed
and query the server at startup. My Win7 clients also query at startup but
this is done with a simple group policy-managed script. The only
disadvantage is that Win7 users don't get a nice dialog box telling them
what's going on but the advantages of managed software deployment certainly
make that inconvenience worthwhile.

Peter