[wpkg-users] Reflections on a new application deployment software.

Olivier LARRIGAUDIERE wpkg-ml at pub.centaure.info
Tue Jun 14 23:32:37 CEST 2011

Hello,

I currently use WPKG on about fifty computers and I am quite satisfied
but I am missing a few things so that this to be perfect.

I'm currently thinking about a new deployment tool software for
Microsoft systems (XP/Vista/7) like WPKG but with the following functions:
- Installed directly as a Windows service (no cscript)
- Retrieve the list of the packages to be installed on the computer from
an HTTP server (a PHP script that queries an LDAP directory to choose a
database or xml file like Profiles.xml). The description of the packages
could be an XML file whose format is identical to WPKG.
- Retrieving of files (installation programs) from an HTTP server
- Signing packages and files to ensure they have not been altered and
nobody use this tool to install other software.
- Sends the installation state through the HTTP server (a PHP script
that stores information in a DB)

The tool is divided into two parts. The service running on the computer
and the script in PHP.

The advantages I see in that new tools would include:
- Securing the installation packages
- Access to the installation status of packages in real time on computers
- Ability to work with LDAP

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for my bad english.

Regards,
--
Olivier LARRIGAUDIERE