[wpkg-users] [gaio at sv.lnf.it: <download /> examples...]

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Tue Jun 21 15:18:45 CEST 2011

Mandi! Rainer Meier
  In chel di` si favelave...

> > No one answer to this questione, someone can help me?
> Actually you could have a look at the XSD which documents it best.

Ops! i've forgot about that, sorry... anyway after this email i've
experimented a bit and i confirm that the <download /> tag works very
well as you explain...

Only one note (and xsd confirm me):

>   <download url="http:/www...." target="%TEMP%" />

target is a filename (path) rooted by default on the specified options
'downloadDir', not a directory.

> In this case you would simply specify commands which do the download. WPKG
> executes the commands in order specified within the package XML file. So feel
> free to invoke any downloader tool like wget as the first install command.
[...]
> As you asked for a switch to globally disable WPKG downloads you might use
> simple environment variables to signal to your own script whether the command
> which executes wget would actually run or not.

Cool hint. But, probably thanks to my bad english, you have probably
misunderstood me a bit.
When i speak of ''external program/scripts'' i don't mean an external
downloader client-side (where wsh fit well), but a server-side script
that parses xml files and download files, preparing the repository of
installer.

Now i'm using csync2 (http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/) to propagate WPKG
recipes within installations, and in csync configuration i trigger an
execution of my ''download script'' for every xml file update, so i can
propagate the setup across sites without the fuss of propagation of
software repository.

For now my ''downloader script'' is a brute force hack that simply use
'xml2' to convert xml to something esier to parse with plain
grep/sed/cut.
Have surely to be rewritten in something more heavier
(perl/php/python/...) and parse XML structure, more notably to be able
to expand variables.

So i needed the ''global download disable'' switch, because, really, i
don't use wpkg to download files, but only the information within xml
files.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php