[wpkg-users] WPKG Development Status

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 21 22:34:04 CET 2011

Hi John,

On 21.03.2011 22:21, John Danks wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> wrote:
>> We also need maintainers for documetation and wiki pages :).
>
> WPKG desperately needs good documentation for new users. There a
> number of things that are not obvious when starting out. Even if
> you're not a good writer, starting something makes it much easier for
> others to come along and improve it. I really wish I had more free
> time to contribute in this area. At present, I try to maintain the
> wiki entries for software I use by updating them when I notice new
> versions and cleaning them up and reorganizing them when needed.

You're fully right. I remember some discussions I had with Tomasz already years
ago. At this time we also discussed about creating a kind of "kick-start" guide
which guides the user to set up a test environment (just SMB server, WPKG share,
WPKG client and a single package). Just to demonstrate how to set up the whole
environment in 30 minutes and deploy a single package. After installing such an
environment it's usually "obvious" how WPKG works but as a newbie it's difficult
to reach this point if you don't find the right entry point in the documentation.

If there would be a simple PDF (<10 pages) we could include it in the WPKG
download since one could get easily lost within the WPKG wiki but a very simple
documentation might help. The current text file is a bit too simple...