[wpkg-users] WPKG Development Status

cleitet at gmail.com cleitet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 11:39:09 CET 2011

Regarding WPKG-GP it's goal is to become a mature client for WPKG. We are
still banging our heads into limitations and constraints of Windows, but I
have a clear Idea on how I want it to work now, after a lot of trial and
error. However, the whole user community might have some ideas as well, so
please come with suggestions.

- Install software at boot time with feedback to user (pretty much working
now minus security)
- Have an easy to use interface for configuration that makes it easy to
distribute the configuration to many clients (still trying and failing on
this)
- Distribute as MSI and MST (to be able to use GroupPolicy Software
Installation for initial distribution)
- Optionally run in system tray and check for updated packages at regular
intervals. Inform users about updates and prompt them with alternatives.
(the platform is designed to be able do this)
- Hopefully be able to install software at shutdown with feedback to user
(this is not easily achievable AFAIK, as Windows does not have an API for
giving information to users at shutdown)

The features are prioritized in this order currently, but WPKG-GP is still a
bit immature (configuration changes between releases, giving users headache
(sorry for that)).

-CL