[wpkg-users] WPKG + Wireless Laptops

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Thu Feb 2 10:10:58 CET 2012

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012, 10:02:40 schrieb Marco Gaiarin:
> Mandi! Matthew Gyurgyik
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > With a wireless laptop, will WPKG wait until the wireless connection
> > come ups to attempt to contact the server? If not, when do updates
> > get applied?
>
> On windows xpsp3 i use wireless machine authentication (so the network
> are setup before users login and after users logoff), and wpkg (with
> wpkgclient) works flawlessy.

now on topic :)
Same here, our (admittedly few) laptops are configured for EAP-TLS auth with a
machine specific certificate, not user specific.  WPKG is run by WPKG-gp and this
works nicely.  Sure it takes somewhat longer than for the wired clients but
that's just the price you pay for mobility IMHO.
If the laptop is out of our WLAN's range, it obviously doesn't connect and
WPKG-gp skips the whole process.  Same if its associated with a different WLAN.
Maybe a VPN could do in such cases.

Cheers,
Malte